Today the smart devices in our lives are all integrated with voice recognition software. It’s on your phone “Hey Siri!” and it’s in your smart speaker “Alexa!” The ubiquity of these devices makes for powerful marketing opportunities for voice enabled brands to build deep and personal engagement with their audience.
The numbers don’t lie. According to a 2018 study in collaboration with National Public Radio and Edison Research:
- 43 million Americans own a smart speaker.
- 43% of smart speaker owners would use a skill from a brand they follow.
- Women are 10% more likely to own and use a smart speaker then men.
- 23% of early adopters use voice activated devices in place of their screen usage.
- 37% of smart speaker owners listen to 2+ hours of news on their smart speaker each week.
How to leverage voice for your brand.
As voice activated devices grow into mainstream use, your businesses would be well served to develop a literal voice enabled brand. Think of the Microsoft or IBM boot up jingles, or the McDonald’s “I’m Lovin It” jingle. Pretty memorable right? So, what does this mean for your business? It means you have a new super savvy tool to literally say “hello” to your audience.
Where to implement voice into your brand.
- Implement voice activated search into your website.
- Create a podcast.
- Optimize for voice activated search. The verbiage on your website should follow natural speech patterns for search best practices.
- Record an audio transcript for each of your blog posts.
- Join a voice activated marketplace.
Voice activated marketplaces.
A voice activated app is significantly faster and cheaper to produce than a traditional app. In some cases you just need your voice and a creative idea to get started. The two heavyweights in the field – Amazon and Google have opened their voice activated platforms to everyone. Both platforms provide tools that anyone can use to create an audio experience without needing to know how to code
Best practices for voice enabled brands.
- Define the tone and inflections
- Speak naturally
- Maintain consistency
- Focus on providing value, not making a sale
- Teach, inform and entertain
Voice activated technology is on the rise in a major way. Today it’s embedded into smart speakers and smart phones, tomorrow it will be in every car, appliance, game and digital assistant. Is your business ready for the coming ubiquity of voice enabled brands?
Let’s chat about your business and branding objectives. Book a consultation with me.